Join me on my travels around the globe

About Me

My photo
East Sussex, United Kingdom
I'm a 62yr old AOL refugee, living on the south coast of England. I love travelling and sharing my photos. I live with Nina and Katinka, my two Maine Coon cats.

Followers

Email Subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Crystal Clock

Friday 7 November 2008

The lemurs of Isalo


This is my lemur entry. We'd trudged through the desert for six hours to see this troupe of lemurs, of course they were worth it. The little fella above was a very weird caterpillar, about three inches long and with comparatively bigger bushier eyebrows than Dennis Healy! Lol! Can you see the resemblance?!
I loved the flame red bush in the next photo, it stood out amongst the harsh desert landscape.

The lady on the left comes from a tribe who inhabits the desert, the white stuff on her face is a kind of make up applied to ensure she doesn't burn in the hot sun.


A close up of a branch of that tree.

This is Carol, one of our group walking along the path to see the lemurs, we walked for about an hour before we got to them. Mohamed had said it'd take 40minutes but I think we'd slowed down considerably after the long trek in the desert that morning!

After our well deserved picnic lunch we carried on a little way to where the lemurs live. This was our first sight of them.


Look at the sweet little baby! Lemurs live in troupes of twenty to thirty. They're very tactile creatures and are always hugging each other.

This group in the tree were having a long conversation!

They seem to make a fuss over all the babies, not just their own.



With such cute babies I'm not surprised!



Communal prayer meeting or group hug?!

This one ran down the tree landing at our feet and ran straight past us down the road.


He seemed to be offering a helping hand to the others!


They have gorgeous amber coloured eyes.


They aren't nervous with people around but they're very alert to sounds in the forest.

I think they're trying to protect the baby, you can just see his tail poking out!

He looks very chilled out at the back doesn't he?!

The others aren't so laid back!

Mum and baby came down to the ground.

This one stayed in the tree on the look out.

It was nice to watch their interactions.
There was a lot of foliage in the way of this shot. That's the trouble with taking photos of wildlife; you can't get them to pose away from branches!

I love this one, the way they hugged when they met or departed was so sweet!



They never keep still for a minute! Very busy creatures!
They're very intelligent primates, it was so good to be able to see them acting naturally in the wild. I've seen them in zoos just sitting around looking so bored.

The next place we went to was our last destination. Tulear is on the south west coast of Madagascar and we were spending three nights at a beach hotel. We deserved a rest after our long hikes through rain forests and deserts! The drive there was another scenic one passing through villages and meeting even more of the different tribes. There are eighteen tribes in Madagascar. We met the Merina, Bara, Betsileo and Mahafaly tribes on our journey.
I hope you're all getting to grips with Blogspot, it still doesn't feel like home to me but I like the way the photos come up really bigand they load through Photobucket much faster than AOL's ever did! I can download five photos in about twenty seconds onto an entry.
I'll see you next time and we'll head towards the beach with its white sand, turquoise sea and blue skies, plus the odd palm!
Have a great weekend!

9 comments:

Joan said...

Wonderful photographs Jeannette you were great at getting those shots through the foliage. They look very loving to one another. Till the next entry Love Joan.

Joyce said...

You always amaze me with your talents in photography...so pretty...all of them. Thank you for sharing...many hugs and love,
Joyce

Penny said...

Jeannette, I've just travelled through Madagascar with you. I read all the entries and marvelled at such beauty. It's been a very long time since I commented. I've wasted too much time. I love your journal and will be back as often as I can. You are such a dear to share these outstanding pictures and and moments with us. Much love and blessings, Penny

Anonymous said...

Hello Jeannette Your trip to Madagascar is amazing. The lemur population looks to be doing well. Thanks to the tourist trade I hope the lemur species is protected from logging. I will never have your energy to travel, so your photo's are a great way for me to see the world thru your lens. I am glad to read that Donna is doing well. mark

Chris/cacklinrosie101 said...

Those lemurs are so adorable, Jeannette. I just love the picture with the baby on the mama's back. That red foliage in the midst of the desert is really lovely. Your photos really show up so much better at blogger, I think. xx

gina said...

they are very cute...and that baby is adorable! what fun getting to observe and photograph them! :) these pix are great, and i'm really enjoying seeing madagascar in this manner. the only thing better would be to actually go myself. :)

Diama ~*a.k.a*~ Cherry said...

OMG LOL did he plop his feet up on her back like that! and the baby was so sweet and adorably tiny.

lisa said...

MY GOD. You should submit these to a travel mag. Gorgeous, magical pics. Those lemurs are magical too, huh? That catipillar is a strange looking thing! XOXOXO

Sandra said...

Wonderful photos Jeannette, the lemurs are beautiful, how do you get such great pictures? I`m not sure I`d want to protect myself from the sun THAT badly, I`d probably frighten everyone with it...lol! :o)

Love Sandra xxxx

My Creative Spirit award given to me by Gina

My Creative Spirit award given to me by Gina

Superior Scribbler award given to me by Jeannette

Superior Scribbler award given to me by Jeannette







Powered By Blogger

NASA Image of the Day

NeoCounter

The WeatherPixie

Maukie - the virtual cat

Site Meter

My Blog List